- At least 10 million unintended pregnancies occur each year among adolescent girls aged 15–19 years in the developing world.
- Complications during pregnancy and childbirth are the leading cause of death for 15–19-year-old girls globally.
- Of the estimated 5.6 million abortions that occur each year among adolescent girls aged 15–19 years
- 9 million are unsafe, contributing to maternal mortality, morbidity and lasting health problems.
- Adolescent mothers (ages 10–19 years) face higher risks of eclampsia, puerperal endometritis, and systemic infections than women aged 20 to 24 years
- Babies of adolescent mothers face higher risks of low birth weight, preterm delivery and severe neonatal conditions.